Who's qualified for the Liga MX playoffs and who's been eliminated?
The Liga MX Apertura 2018 regular season is nearing its conclusion, which means clubs have their sights firmly set on qualifying for the playoffs, known as the Liguilla.
Six clubs have now qualified for La Fiesta Grande, leaving only two spots left .
So, who's in? Who's out? Who has it all to play for?
CLINCHED A SPOT IN THE FINAL EIGHT
- Cruz Azul, Club America, Pumas UNAM, Santos Laguna, Monterrey
TEAMS IN CONTENTION
- Tigres, Toluca, Morelia, Pachuca, Queretaro
- Chivas, Puebla, Leon, Lobos BUAP, Tijuana, Necaxa, Atlas, Veracruz
CURRENT STANDINGS (asterisk denotes club has qualified)
1. CRUZ AZUL 33 points*
Upcoming opponent: Morelia
- If La Maquina want to win the regular season title, all that's needed is to avoid defeat against Morelia. Otherwise, their fate will rest in the hope that Club America doesn't win their match to tie them on points and win the tiebreaker. Nevertheless, the worst Cruz Azul can finish is second.
2. CLUB AMERICA 30 points*
Upcoming opponent: Veracruz
- In order for Las Aguilas to finish first in the table, they need to beat Veracruz and hope that Cruz Azul loses to Morelia. A simple tie would ensure that they finish in the Top 4, but a defeat could see them fall to 5th.
3. PUMAS UNAM 29 points*
Upcoming opponent: Santos
- The most Los Universitarios can hope for is second place. For that to happen, they need to beat Santos and hope America loses. A tie would see them drop to 5th, but a loss could see them fall all the way to 7th.
4. SANTOS LAGUNA 29 points*
Upcoming opponent: Pumas
- The club have a similar destiny as Pumas, and as they face each other this weekend, they have similar fates. As they're equal on points, the only thing that separates the two teams is goal difference.
5. MONTERREY 27 points*
Upcoming opponent: Atlas
- The best scenario for Los Rayados is a second-place finish, but that depends entirely on Club America losing and a tie between Pumas and Santos. Losing or tying Atlas could see them finish as low as 8th.
6. TIGRES 26 points
Upcoming opponent: Chivas
- A win by the Nuevo Leon against Chivas could catapult them to 4th place. It'll help if Pumas and Santos tie, but they need to hope that Monterrey doesn't win. Tigres themselves only need a tie to secure passage to the Liguilla. However, there are scenarios that'll see them end up in 8th place, while a loss could see them be eliminated.
7. TOLUCA 26 points
Upcoming opponent: Lobos BUAP
- Like Tigres, Toluca needs to emerge victorious from their clash with Lobos BUAP, but failing to do so could open up doors for Pachuca and Queretaro.
8. MORELIA 25 points
Upcoming opponent: Cruz Azul
- The only way Monarcas can assure themselves of advancing to the Liguilla is winning against Cruz Azul. A victory could see them finish as high as 5th, if Monterrey, Tigres, and Toluca don't win. But if they tie or lose, Morelia will have to wait for the results from Pachuca and Queretaro.
9. PACHUCA 23 points
Upcoming opponent: Leon
- The Tuzos depend on the results of Tigres, Toluca, and Morelia in order to get into the Liguilla. However, for that to happen, Pachuca must win their final game against eliminated Leon, but they have the advantage of playing at home.
10. QUERETARO 23 points
Upcoming opponent: Necaxa
- Queretaro find themselves in the same situation as Pachuca. Their final game is also at home against (also eliminated) Necaxa.
ELIMINATED FROM COMPETITION
11. CHIVAS 20 points
Upcoming opponent: Tigres
12. PUEBLA 19 points
Upcoming opponent: Tijuana
13. LEON 17 points
Upcoming opponent: Pachuca
14. LOBOS BUAP 16 points
Upcoming opponent: Toluca
15. CLUB TIJUANA 16 points
Upcoming opponent: Puebla
16. NECAXA 14 points
Upcoming opponent: Queretaro
17. ATLAS 11 points
Upcoming opponent: Monterrey
18. VERACRUZ 10 points
Upcoming opponent: Club America