Schalke confirm negotiations for Inter Milan's Xherdan Shaqiri
Inter Milan's attacking midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri is in discussions with Schalke about a return to the Bundesliga, the German club have confirmed.
Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt said last week that his club were interested in Shaqiri, 24, who left Bayern Munich for Italy in January.
A transfer now appears to be edging closer, however, as Heldt said on Thursday that Schalke are actively investigating the Swiss international's intentions.
"We're in contact with Xherdan Shaqiri's people, but there is nothing concrete," Heldt told reporters.
Heldt confirmed that Farfan had already completed a medical ahead of his move to Al-Jazira in the United Arab Emirates. There are now only small details to be ironed out before the Peruvian attacker signs a bumper three-year-deal worth €10 million per year to the player.
"We have complied with the wishes of Jefferson Farfan," Heldt said. "He absolutely wants to go and you can't blame him. They've offered him a monstrous contract."
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
The reported €7m raised from the sale of Farfan will increase Schalke's chances of signing Shaqiri, although the Inter player has already turned down several offers this summer, including a potential £12m move to Stoke.
Schalke also confirmed the signing of former Fulham right-back Sascha Riether, 32, on Thursday, while former Bayer Leverkusen attacker Sidney Sam took part in his first training session since having his suspension lifted by the club.