Barcelona striker Neymar insists he still has 'years' at Camp Nou
Neymar has pronounced himself "very happy" at Barcelona, but says a debate is still being held over a contract renewal for the Brazil captain.
The 23-year-old former Santos man's current deal runs until June 2018. Talks are expected soon to discuss an extension, however the outcome of the ongoing court investigation into his complex transfer from the Brazilian club to Barca in the summer of 2013 has slowed matters.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Neymar's father, Neymar Sr., was forced to rubbish reports of a meeting between the Neymars and Real Madrid directors last week. And as time passes, the delay of an accord between the player and the Catalan club breeds further speculation of a possible exit.
Asked about his current situation on Thursday, Neymar told BeIN Sports: "There is debate with it all -- the renewal and everything -- I am very happy in Barcelona, I have almost everything.
"I have happiness and health. It is difficult to leave here because I have found a great city, a great club, some players from another planet and for me it's difficult but we have to see everything.
"These are things that make it difficult to decide but we must be calm because I still have years at the club."
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Complicating things are claims in AS that Barca's board need to significantly grow the club's revenues to be able to pay for salary increases for top players, including Neymar, as well as Lionel Messi and Sergio Busquets. Another potential issue for the Catalans is that talks with their current sponsors in Qatar over a new shirt deal have yet to be completed.
Neymar's legal issues are also a concern for the player's camp, with El Larguero reporting that Madrid chief Florentino Perez has promised Neymar Sr. these could be made to go away if he moved to the Bernabeu outfit. A competing claim in Mundo Deportivo has the Blaugrana club saying Florentino's entourage are blaming Neymar Sr. for the problems with the initial transfer which took the Brazil captain to the Camp Nou in summer 2013.
Neymar, who was named to the three-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or award for 2015, helped Barcelona to the Treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League titles last season.
Barca are still on track to defend all three crowns this campaign, which the forward says is his and the team's goal.
"Barcelona fans should stay calm because I am still at the club and we have many games left to win the treble," Neymar added.
"That is what we seek and work all day for Barca to be the best and the greatest."
ESPN FC Spain correspondent Dermot Corrigan contributed to this report