Friday’s World Cup 2014 qualifier between Spain and Belarus will go ahead as planned despite a serious accident at the Son Moix stadium in Palma de Mallorca where the game is to be played, according to the Spanish FA.
An explosion on Thursday afternoon at Real Mallorca’s home ground had led to widespread fears that the game would have to be postponed or moved elsewhere.
But RFEF spokesperson Jorge Carretero told Europa Press that as far as he was concerned the game would kickoff as originally scheduled at 10pm local time on Friday night.
“The game is not in danger, not at all,” Carretero said. “We are not working on changing the date. The only thing to worry about is those injured, who we wish a quick recovery, and nothing more.”
Both teams had been due to train at Son Moix on Thursday evening, however those plans were cancelled after a generator in the ground’s car park exploded, with the RFEF looking to bring the two squads to Mallorca’s Ciudad Deportiva Antonio Asensio to train instead.
Two people were taken to hospital with serious injuries after the incident, while the site was closed off to allow police to investigate what had occurred.
It had been thought that both teams would not be able to train at San Moix on Thursday evening, however the ground was opened for the players to enter -- although the Spanish squad were reportedly to change at their hotel due to their being no power in the dressing-rooms at the ground.
One option which had been circulated was to postpone the game by 24 hours until Saturday evening. That would be far from ideal for Vicente del Bosque’s side, who play their final qualifier at home to Georgia on Tuesday in Albacete.
World Cup holders Spain need four points from the two games to ensure direct qualification for next summer’s finals in Brazil.