Shkupi
Portland Timbers
2:30 AM UTC Jul 19, 2018

West Ham close in on Yarmolenko - sources

West Ham in talks with Wilshere - sources

By PA Sport

David Moyes happy with short-term contract plan at West Ham United

Mark Ogden discusses what impact David Moyes could have at West Ham and questions whether the appointment is right for the club.

David Moyes has said he is comfortable with his initial six-month contract as West Ham manager.

Former Everton, Manchester United and Sunderland boss Moyes was confirmed as the new West Ham boss on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after Slaven Bilic was sacked.

The priority for joint-chairmen David Sullivan and David Gold is to climb away from relegation trouble before Moyes' future is evaluated at the end of the season.

Moyes told talkSPORT: "We've done a contract which suits both parties, we are all comfortable with it.

"Let's get the job done and then talk at the end of the year."

Moyes' appointment has not gone down well with sections of the West Ham fans, mindful that his previous job saw Sunderland relegated last season.

The 54-year-old Scot also endured disappointing spells with United and Real Sociedad.

Yet his successful 11-year stint at Everton persuaded Sullivan and Gold that he is the man to turn their season around.

"I'm thrilled to be back in the game and looking forward to getting started," added Moyes. "The job is to get wins and get ourselves up the league.

"I'm a football supporter, everyone has opinions, and everyone is entitled to that. But I think my record stands up against most.

"I've managed five clubs and only the recent one was the wrong choice by me.

"Hopefully I can show what I'm really about. I've probably got one of the best win records in the Premier League. The job now is to win games."

Former West Ham defender Stuart Pearce has been linked with a coaching role at the club, as has Moyes' No. 2 at Everton, Alan Irvine.

Moyes said: "I want a couple more people in, people I have worked with and people who can tell me how this club works.

"My message to the fans is just support the players and staff, we are all here to get West Ham in the correct position up the table."

Sullivan told the club's official website: "This is a unique position for David Gold and myself -- it is the first time in almost eight years at West Ham United that we have appointed a new manager during the season.

"We need somebody with experience, knowledge of the Premier League and the players in it, and we believe David is the right man to turn things around and get the best out of the players at the club.

"He proved with Everton that he has great qualities and we feel that West Ham United is a club that will give David the platform to display those qualities again."

Comments