Second QPR Odemwingie bid rejected
West Bromwich Albion have rejected a second bid from Queens Park Rangers for wantaway striker Peter Odemwingie.
An opening offer thought to be as much as £2.5 million was turned down earlier this month, and QPR boss Harry Redknapp has carried out the promise he made after Saturday’s FA Cup defeat to MK Dons to step up his efforts at strengthening his squad.
But Redknapp may have to look elsewhere to bolster his frontline, following another knockback from The Hawthorns despite an increaded bid believed to be worth £3.25 million.
“QPR have made a second, improved offer for Peter, which we have turned down,” Albion’s sporting and technical director Richard Garlick said. “As we have repeatedly stated, we have no need or desire to sell our core players.”
The Nigeria international is also likely to be facing disciplinary action over his recent Twitter outburst at the club, despite offering his apologies.
Odemwingie had originally vented his frustrations at Albion for rejecting his transfer request last week, only to tweet on Sunday: “Looked through my tweets. Deleted some. Was too much. Only excuses - home alone, dark, son and wife in hospital, frustrated.''
Although the former Lokomotiv Moscow man has shown contrition, he may still face a fine of two weeks’ wages, with the Baggies confirming that statements by players on the social network site form part of the club's disciplinary code of conduct.
Garlick added: “Since we turned down Peter's transfer request, he has made his position clear in a statement to the media and via his personal Twitter account. This matter will be dealt with internally.”
The relevant tweets are said to have been deleted.