Hunt to leave Bremen on free transfer
Aaron Hunt will leave Werder Bremen on a free transfer in the summer after turning down the offer of a new contract.
Honigstein: Bayern's loss
Hunt, 27, has played for Bremen since the age of 14 and made his Bundesliga debut as a 17-year-old in September 2004.
Since then he has featured in 208 Bundesliga games and become the club’s longest-serving current player. The midfielder has also won three caps for Germany, but has never challenged for a regular spot in Joachim Loew’s side.
On Thursday, Bremen announced that despite “stretching to their financial limits” Hunt has rejected the latest offer to prolong his contract, which will expire at the end of this season.
Reports in the German media suggest that he will look outside of the Bundesliga for his next challenge, with Tottenham and Stoke among the clubs to have been linked with his services. Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Moenchengladbach are also said to be keen, but a move to Besiktas in Turkey could beckon according to local Bremen paper Syker Kreiszeitung.
Meanwhile, Serbia international Aleksandar Ignjovski will also leave Bremen on a free at the end of the season.
The 23-year-old Serb joined the club in 2011 and has made 52 league appearances but “has now informed us that he will not accept our offer,” sporting director Thomas Eichin told Bild on Friday.