Mathew Ryan out for Valencia with knee injury after surgery
Valencia goalkeeper Mathew Ryan is expected to be sidelined for at least a month with a knee injury.
Ryan sustained the problem during Sunday's 1-1 home draw against Deportivo La Coruna and tests have revealed a partial tear to his right meniscus.
The Australia international underwent surgery in Valencia on Monday and is set to be sidelined from four to six weeks.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
A statement from Valencia said: "Ryan underwent arthroscopic surgery to resolve problems in his right meniscus. The surgery was satisfactory."
The 23-year-old, who joined Los Che from Club Brugge earlier this summer, is expected to miss at least six games -- four La Liga encounters against Sporting, Betis, Espanyol and Granada and Champions League group games at home to Zenit and away to Lyon.
Ryan tweeted: "With some luck be back fit in 4 weeks. Look forward to coming back stronger. Thx for support."
Ryan has started in all four official games for Valencia since joining the club from Club Brugge on a six-year contract earlier this summer.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
With Valencia goalkeeper Diego Alves also sidelined because of a knee injury until the new year, Valencia coach Nuno Espirito Santo will have Yoel Rodriguez or Jaume Domenech between the posts.
Yoel made 25 La Liga appearances for Celta Vigo in the 2013-14 campaign while the 24-year-old Domenech has no Primera Division experience.
Valencia are winless after two rounds of games in the Spanish top flight with two points.
They finished 0-0 at Rayo Vallecano in their opener before being held to a 1-1 draw at home by Deportivo last weekend.