Luis Suarez apologises to Chiellini
Luis Suarez has admitted biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's World Cup group game against the Italians and apologised on Twitter.
The apology comes just two days after it emerged that Suarez -- who was banned for nine Uruguay matches and from all football activity for four months -- had denied biting his opponent in a submission to FIFA's disciplinary committee.
My apologies to Chiellini: pic.twitter.com/CvfkkjxzlM- Luis Suarez (@luis16suarez) June 30, 2014
His Monday post on the social networking website acknowledged that he had bitten Chiellini, apologised to the defender and promised that an incident of that sort would never happen again.
Chiellini, who had said he felt Suarez's ban was excessive, responded with a tweet in which he said the incident was behind him and expressed hope that the ban would be reduced.
.@luis16suarez It's all forgotten. I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension.- Giorgio Chiellini (@chiellini) June 30, 2014
Two days ago, it was revealed that Suarez had told the disciplinary panel there was nothing deliberate about what happened.
LUIS SUAREZ BITE STORM
- FIFA bans Luis Suarez for four months
- PL chief: Suarez an accident waiting to happen
- No 'bite clause' in Suarez's Barca contract
- Toe Poke: Fan gets dodgy Suarez tattoo
- Thompson: Portrait of a serial winner
- Brewin: No sympathy for Luis Suarez
- Thompson: Uruguay comes to Suarez defence
- Marcotti: Suarez in another bite storm
The striker wrote in Spanish that "in no way [did it happen] how you have described, as a bite or intent to bite."
His defence was in paragraph six of FIFA's ruling and said: "After the impact... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player, leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."
But the seven-man panel ruled that the bite was "deliberate, intentional and without provocation" and concluded: "He bit the player with the intention of wounding him or at least of destabilising him.
"In such context, the committee observes that the player had been sanctioned on previous occasions in club competition for similar acts."
It also said Suarez had shown no regret over his actions, adding in paragraph 29: "The disciplinary commission observed that the player at no moment showed regret or remorse of any type, nor did he admit a violation of any FIFA rule and therefore in general he did not show any consciousness of having committed any offence."
Suarez -- whose ban is the third he has received for biting an opponent -- returned to Uruguay after having his World Cup accreditation revoked and was given a warm reception by Uruguayan fans.
He thanked supporters on Twitter, writing: "Hello everyone. I'm writing this message to give my thanks for all the displays of support and kindness that I am receiving. Both me and my family are grateful for them."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.