Millennium Stadium, Wales

Referee: P Walton | Attendance: 50913

* Local time based on your geographic location.

Bristol City

  • Lee Peacock 78'
  • Liam Rosenior 89'

2 - 0


Bristol City 2-0 Carlisle

Late goals from Lee Peacock and Liam Rosenior helped Bristol City become the first Southern Section club to lift the LDV Vans Trophy in eight years with a 2-0 win over Carlisle at the Millennium Stadium.

Not since Birmingham beat Carlisle in 1995 has a side from the Southern Section of the draw won the competition, and it was a United old-boy who broke the hearts of the Third Division strugglers in Cardiff.

City striker Peacock started his career at Carlisle, but his close-range opener in the 77th minute set up victory for Danny Wilson's men, with substitute Rosenior making sure with a minute to go.

Both clubs had won the trophy before, and they looked evenly matched from the outset despite the 41 Football League places dividing them.

Between them they have reached the final seven times, but City went into this match as firm favourites courtesy of their current position in the Second Division play-off places and the overwhelming support of an estimated 40,000 fans in Cardiff.

Carlisle's Jon McCarthy was the first to try his luck from distance after being teed up by Richie Foran 25 yards from goal but his volley sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

A combination of nerves and committed defending meant chances were at a premium despite City gradually exerting their authority on the game.

Their first real opening came on 23 minutes for Christian Roberts, who profited from a surging run and neat through ball from Louis Carey to find himself in space in the penalty area.

Roberts took aim right-footed from 10 yards but Carlisle goalkeeper Matt Glennon got down quickly to make an excellent block.

City were dominating possession, but Carlisle were showing a spirit they will need in their battle against relegation from the Football League.

Carlisle hearts were in their mouths after the restart when Glennon dropped a lofted cross from Mickey Bell, but the danger was cleared.

Roberts then sent a far-post header over the crossbar from Murray's searching right-wing centre, before Foran did the same at the other end from McCarthy's cross.

McCarthy then had a glorious chance in the 58th minute when Foran headed back Adam Rundle's left-wing cross, but his weak lob was well held by Steve Phillips.

Suddenly Carlisle were playing all the incisive football and alarmed City boss Danny Wilson threw on Rosenior for Roberts, and United survived a scare shortly afterwards when Kelly appeared to handle a Peacock header inside the penalty area.

But Peacock put City ahead in the 77th minute. Carey's chip found Rosenior on the right and he broke through to force Glennon into a smart parry, but the ball fell perfectly for Peacock to tap home his 12th of the season from close range.

Murray almost doubled the lead moments later but this time Glennon held on, and Carlisle could have been level with six minutes remaining when Foran shot low from 10 yards only to watch in agony as his effort missed the upright by inches.

Substitute Rosenior sealed victory with a minute remaining, chesting Murray's teasing right-wing cross over the goalline from close range with Glennon beaten.

Scoring Summary

  • Bristol City
  • Carlisle United

Match Stats

  • Bristol City
  • Carlisle United
0(0) Shots (on goal) 0(0)
0 Fouls 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Offsides 0
0% Time of Possession 0%
1 Yellow Cards 2
0 Red Cards 0
0 Saves 0


  • Bristol City
  • Carlisle United
Yellow Cards
Joe Burnell (36')