FA, Mark Sampson cleared over complaint from England's Eniola Aluko
The Football Association has confirmed an independent investigation found no wrongdoing in respect of a grievance raised by former England striker Eniola Aluko.
Aluko made a number of allegations last year that were reportedly directed at England boss Mark Sampson, and the BBC says they concerned claims of "bullying and harassment."
The 30-year-old, who was a television pundit for this month's European Championship in the Netherlands, has not played for her country since making the claims.
An FA spokesperson said: "The FA can confirm an independent investigation found no wrongdoing in respect of a grievance raised by Eniola Aluko in 2016.
"Following an internal review into allegations raised by Eniola Aluko last year, The FA commissioned an independent investigation conducted by a barrister, Katharine Newton, from Old Square Chambers.
"The detailed independent investigation report did not uphold any of Eniola Aluko's complaints and found no wrongdoing on behalf of The FA or others."
Lord Ouseley, the chairman of the anti-discrimination organisation Kick It Out, said he wanted "clarity" over the matter.
The Daily Mail reported that the FA renewed Aluko's £20,000 contract despite her saying she would not be able to play under Sampson again as well as handing her a £40,000 payment to sign a confidentiality agreement. According to the newspaper, the FA said it made the £40,000 payment to "avoid disruption" during Euro 2017.
"Our concern is to get clarity," Ouseley said in The Guardian. "We need to know the FA has processed this case correctly.
"As an organisation we are very much on top of what happens on the pitch and with fans but, with regard to the FA's own employees, we need to know they are not just buying people off and taking no remedial action.
"The FA says it was a thorough investigation but we need to understand why they would pay someone such a large amount after two investigations found there was no case to answer.
"I understand why they wouldn't want it to be public and distract from Euro 2017 but now is the time for Eni herself or the FA to speak. It needs someone to come clean on this."
Statement in response to Daily Mail article yesterday. pic.twitter.com/qe2AzvzpJC— Eniola Aluko (@EniAlu) August 8, 2017
On Tuesday morning, Aluko clarified on her Twitter account: "Contrary to the [Daily Mail] article, I have not and did not quit the England team and remain a Centrally Contracted England player."
She also confirmed that she had received a payment from the FA but said it "still remains confidential."