Nasri: Man City can win in Barcelona
Samir Nasri took heart from Manchester City’s victory against Bayern Munich in the Allianz Arena to declare that they can go to the Camp Nou, beat Barcelona and stay in the Champions League.
City approach the second leg with a 2-0 deficit after losing Tuesday’s match at the Etihad Stadium, thanks to goals from Lionel Messi and Daniel Alves.
France international Nasri told reporters after the match: "It is a different game but why not? We went to Munich and we won. We could do the same. I think it is not over."
Barcelona centre-back Javier Mascherano echoed Nasri’s sentiments, saying his side are still wary of City and believe they could face a tough tie in the second leg.
"It is a good result, but nothing is made," he said. "We have to play another game. It will be difficult. We know how strong Man City are. We know they can score any time. To go through to the quarterfinals we have to play with the same mentality we did [on Tuesday]."
The Argentina international believes his compatriot Sergio Aguero will be fit for the second leg on Mar. 12 and thinks City are capable of coming back.
"Of course," he added. "They have a very good team. Probably Aguero will come back. They are a team that can score any time. They normally score [in] all games. We need to be happy for the performance but we know how difficult the second leg will be. They can score two or three goals because they have players with a lot of quality."
City were taught a lesson by the leading club in world football, according to Stevan Jovetic. The former Fiorentina forward said the difference in class between the two clubs was palpable.
"We played the strongest team in the world tonight," he told Italy's Sky Sport. "Certainly we were lacking a bit of experience and it's a shame that we conceded the second goal because that complicates matters in terms of qualification."
Jovetic was an unused substitute in the defeat, but he insists he is happy in Manchester and has no intention of returning to Italy. Injury forced him to miss much of the first half of the season, prompting him to be linked with a return to Serie A last month.
"I never even considered returning to Italy after just six months," said the Montenegrin. "As far as I am aware, there was no offer for me, just rumours in the press. I've always played when I've been fit, but injuries kept knocking me back.
"I signed a five-year contract here and I want to stay for a long time."