New Galatasaray boss Cesare Prandelli said he was apprehensive about working in Italy again after being subjected to threats following the Azzurri's early exit from the World Cup.
- Rothwell: Prandelli the star man at Galatasaray
Prandelli resigned as Italy boss after failing to guide the team out of their group in Brazil and subsequently accepted a new challenge with Galatasaray, replacing compatriot Roberto Mancini.
He told reporters at his first news conference in Istanbul on Tuesday that he was "not running away" from Italy but had been left perplexed by the treatment he had received after returning home.
"Certainly when you receive threatening letters in your post box, or when you read some of the articles or see some of the programmes on TV, it does leave you shocked and doesn't necessarily give you a nice feeling," Prandelli said.
"You ask yourself why. What was I meant to do? I resigned because I'm not the kind of person who asks for a pay-out like most people do in Italy. I've not come here because I was threatened either, but if I had received any offers in Italy, I'm not so sure I would have taken them."
Prandelli, who had led Italy to the final at Euro 2012, is looking forward to his return to club management.
"The opportunity to start immediately with new objectives could help me a lot," said the 56-year-old. "I've decided to come to Galatasaray because of the winning project they have got here. We have a future and an objective to create a winning team, playing a beautiful as well as successful brand of football."
Wesley Sneijder, who has been linked with an exit, said he was delighted to see Prandelli arrive in Istanbul.
"I'm sorry that Mancini left because I was on very friendly terms with him and his staff, but I think Prandelli's the right man to replace him," said the Dutch midfielder to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"Galatasaray don't only need a coach, but somebody who knows how to help you grow and change the mentality of the side, and I think Prandelli is precisely that kind of person."