Russia has accused the United States of acting illegally following the FBI-led investigation in Zurich.
The 2018 World Cup is due to be played in Russia and while that fact does not appear to be under threat at the moment the Russian foreign ministry was clearly unimpressed with the US's actions.
- Marcotti: Will FIFA crisis result in change? | Q&A
- FIFA officials arrested at dawn in Zurich | The defendants
- Blatter welcomes probe | Russia blasts U.S. | Warner
- Attorney General on corruption | Officials face extradition
- Munson: The legal implications | What has been said
- UEFA wants election halted | Criminal proceedings opened
- Explainer: FIFA's ugly game | Timeline of events
"Without going into the details of the accusations ... this is clearly another case of illegal exterritorial use of U.S. law," said a statement on the website of the Russian foreign ministry.