Mexico captain Rafael Marquez says he won't consider retirement as long as he can maintain a high level of play.
Former Barcelona star Marquez and his Mexico teammates will take on the United States in a Confederations Cup playoff on Saturday in Pasadena, California.
U.S. vs. MEXICO LATEST
- Carlisle: Dempsey, Altidore remain key | VOTE! Fan polls
- Marshall: Mexico keep things low-key | Rivalry moments
- McIntyre: Klinsmann's big day | Carlisle: Guzan is ready
- Faitelson: Mexico pressure | McIntyre: Beckerman vital
- 50-50 Challenge | Marshall: Mexico's youngsters stifled
- Donovan on Klinsmann | Ideal U.S. XI | Dempsey is key
- Hernandez: Mexico key players | Who is "Tuca" Ferretti?
- Team pages: U.S. | Mexico | CONCACAF Cup | Videos
Speaking to reporters on Friday, the 36-year-old defender said he once considered hanging up his boots, but that time has long passed.
"In the World Cup in South Africa I thought maybe I would retire," Marquez said.
"But the level of...