Trending: Argentina have to step up, follow Lionel Messi example - Jorge Sampaoli
Tuesday's latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC's What's Trending ...
- Argentina and Lionel Messi are on the brink of missing the World Cup, but they are not receiving any sympathy from Brazil coach Tite.
- Bayern Munich midfielder Arturo Vidal has said he is "gutted" to miss Chile's key World Cup qualifier in Brazil on Tuesday but expects his side to clinch a place in Russia.
EUROPEAN QUALIFYING: After Iceland became the smallest nation ever to qualify for a World Cup finals, here are the five other smallest countries to grace the world stage.
- Scottish Football Association chief Stewart Regan has said the organisation will not rush into a decision on the future of coach Gordon Strachan.
WORLD CUP QUALIFYING: Gabon coach Jose Antonio Camacho has backed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's claim that the nation's World Cup qualifying bid was sabotaged by dodgy orange juice.
- Australia beat Syria 3-2 on aggregate to reach a World Cup qualifying playoff against the team that finishes fourth in CONCACAF.
BALLON D'OR: Cristiano Ronaldo will be the favourite to retain his Ballon d'Or as he was named to the 30-man shortlist alongside the likes of Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez, Harry Kane and Robert Lewandowski.
BARCELONA: Neymar has demanded UEFA expel Barcelona from the Champions League in a dispute over a bonus payment, according to Press Association Sport.
- Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has dismissed reports that Barcelona's Luis Suarez will need knee surgery and expects him to play in Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Bolivia.
Jupp Heynckes says the complexity of the German language is making it hard for James Rodriguez to settle at the Bundesliga champions.
FIFA: Real Madrid could face New Zealand side Auckland City in the Club World Cup semifinals after the draw for the competition, which takes place in Abu Dhabi, was made on Monday.
- Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud is one of three players through to the final stage FIFA's Puskas Award for "the most beautiful goal of the season."
MAN UNITED: Manchester United are hopeful Phil Jones will be fit to face Liverpool this weekend despite pulling out of the England squad with injury, sources have told ESPN FC.
- The Belgian Football Association have said Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini will only be sidelined "for a couple of weeks" after he limped out of Saturday's World Cup qualifying win against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
ARSENAL: Shkodran Mustafi looks set for an extended spell on the sidelines after limping out of Germany's 5-1 World Cup qualifying win over Azerbaijan.
- Olivier Giroud says he was "very close" to joining Everton this summer but is happy he decided to stay at Arsenal.
LIVERPOOL: Emre Can has told kicker that it was an "honour" to receive an offer from Juventus in the summer but insists he is solely focused on Liverpool this season.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.