CPS date for Terry racism allegations
The Crown Prosecution Service are expected to announce on Wednesday afternoon whether Chelsea and England captain John Terry will be prosecuted for alleged racial abuse.
The CPS will make statement regarding comments Terry allegedly made to Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's Premier League match at Loftus Road on October 23.
Last week prosecutors asked police for more information regarding the incident and it is reported that new video evidence, featuring previously unseen footage from TV cameras, was handed to the CPS.
Immediately after the original allegations were made, Terry issued a statement saying: "I've seen that there's a lot of comments on the internet with regards to some video footage of me during the game.
"I'm disappointed that people have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying to Anton Ferdinand.
"I would never say such a thing, and I'm saddened that people would think so."
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas vowed that he and the club would give Terry their full support if prosecutors decide to charge him with racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
"The only thing I know is that I will be fully supportive of John Terry, whatever the outcome,'' Villas-Boas said. "He has my full support, he has the club's full support. We know exactly his human values and personality. They are never in doubt.''
The CPS decision will come barely 24 hours before Chelsea's Premier League game at Tottenham, the start of a run of four games in 11 days, but Villas-Boas was philosophical about the outcome.
"This is legal proceedings and I'm not in the right to say something done by justice is wrong,'' he said. ``If this is the timing they chose, this is the timing they thought was correct.''
Villas-Boas also confirmed Terry would start at White Hart Lane on Thursday night.
On Tuesday, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was handed an eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra during a Premier League match at Anfield on October 15.
The Uruguay international, who is expected to appeal against the Football Association's decision, was also fined £40,000.
The CPS decision will come less than 24 hours after the Football Association banned Liverpool striker Luis Suarez for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.
Villas-Boas admitted the punishment sent out a strong message but was reluctant to comment further on it before seeing the full judgment of the independent disciplinary committee.
Villas-Boas said of the Suarez verdict: "I'm not sure and I'm not in a position to say whether it's fairly applied or not. It looks to be setting a firm example.''