AC Milan have been given permission by Manchester City to open talks with striker Carlos Tevez, according to the Italian club's vice-president Adriano Galliani.
Tevez, 27, is expected to seal a move away from City when the transfer window reopens on January 1 after falling out with manager Roberto Mancini following a disagreement at the Allianz Arena in September.
The Argentina international has not featured for the club since allegedly refusing to warm up ahead of an introduction to the field of play, as City trailed Bayern Munich 2-0 in Champions League Group A.
It has subsequently been suggested Milan could target Tevez on a loan deal in January, after Antonio Cassano was sidelined for around six months following heart surgery, and Galliani has fuelled those rumours.
"Tevez is a City player," Galliani said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "The English club has authorised us to speak to his agent but we haven't spoken directly to City yet.
"We don't know what City want. I prefer not to speak too much about Tevez, otherwise his price will go up and this is not good."
When asked about Milan's winter transfer window activity, Galliani said: "If anyone arrives, it will be a striker as our aim is to cover the place of the injured Cassano."
Tevez returned to his homeland last month without City's permission and is yet to report back to training.