John Terry is unlikely to be temporarily stripped of the England captaincy while he is investigated by the Football Association for the alleged use of racist language towards Anton Ferdinand.
With England due to play two high profile friendly internationals against world and European champions Spain and then Sweden next month, the FA could have chosen to force coach Fabio Capello to remove the armband from the Chelsea centre-back.
As the FA has previously reported Spanish fans for racist behaviour towards England's black players, Terry's appearance as skipper for the game at Wembley on November 12 could be seen as hypocritical.
But it is believed the FA will make no decision on his future until after the result of their investigation into the incident in the game between Queens Park Rangers and Chelsea at Loftus Road on Sunday is known.
As well as the FA investigation, pictures are to be scrutinised by officers from Hammersmith and Fulham police after a member of the public emailed a complaint.
Capello has replaced Terry as captain once before following his high-profile fall out with Wayne Bridge over a personal matter when the two players were both at Chelsea, handing the armband to Rio Ferdinand - Anton's brother.
Terry, meanwhile, has not travelled with the rest of the Chelsea squad for the Carling Cup tie at Everton as he is on four yellow cards, and another caution would see him suspended for the Premier League game against Arsenal on Saturday.
Terry said that he would fight to prove his innocence regarding the racism row and welcomed the news of the investigation in a statement which read: ''I welcome the FA enquiry and look forward to clearing my name as soon as possible. Until then I have no further comment.''
It is not certain that Terry will play any part in the double-header as Capello looks to try out other players ahead of next summer's European Championship finals.
If Terry, who turns 31 in December, is charged and subsequently found guilty of abusing Ferdinand he would be certain to lose the captaincy and it would be difficult for Capello to select him at all.
Videos circulated on the internet in the aftermath of Sunday's game, with some claiming the footage shows Terry insulting Ferdinand using racist language. Terry has denied racially abusing Ferdinand, who he admitted had accused him of making a racist remark, but insisted his own response was actually a denial and not racist in any way.
A statement released by QPR on Tuesday said: ''The club is aware of an alleged racist incident in Sunday's Barclays Premier League fixture between QPR and Chelsea at Loftus Road. The Football Association are now expected to conduct enquiries into the alleged incident."
Chairman Tony Fernandes said: "Queens Park Rangers Football Club does not condone racism in any way, shape or form. As a club, we will provide our players with our unequivocal support when alleged incidents like this occur.
"The club has, and will continue to, support Kick It Out's One Game, One Community initiative, football's equality and inclusion campaign. However, we are keen to draw a line under this alleged incident and focus on our forthcoming fixtures, starting with Sunday's London derby at Spurs. The club will be making no further comment at this stage.''
Ferdinand is yet to speak publicly on the matter, but he has been offered the full backing of his club over the alleged incident.