Chelsea fail in Meireles bid
Chelsea have targeted Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles and had an offer of around £7 million plus Yossi Benayoun rejected for the Portuguese international.
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas worked with Meireles at FC Porto and is keen to strengthen the club's central midfield after failing to land Spurs star Luka Modric and a serious injury to Michael Essien.
However, Liverpool are not keen to let Meireles join one of their rivals at the top of the Premier League for such a low sum and are also not interested in having Benayoun back after his failed spell at Anfield between 2007-2010.
Benayoun is also attracting interest from Arsenal and Newcastle and has promised to reveal more about his future in the next few days, having said he was talking to a number of clubs.
Meanwhile, Chelsea are hoping to persuade Porto to sell left-back Alvaro Pereira before Wednesday's deadline. A bid of €20 million (£17.7 million) was rejected last week and the Portuguese champions are believed to want a fee closer to the €30 million buy-out clause in the Uruguayan's contract.
With the future of Chelsea winger Florent Malouda also the subject of speculation, Milos Krasic's agent Marko Naletilic has firmly denied rumours that the Serbian winger could soon be making his way to Chelsea.
"It's the first time I have heard this [Krasic moving to Chelsea]," Naletilic told Calciomercato.it. ''Krasic is happy in Turin and he has no intention to leave Juventus. The rest are just voices which are unfounded and I deny them."
• Catch action from every Barclays Premier League match on your mobile for FREE on the enhanced ESPN Goals app (UK only).