Enrique blasts Toon board
Newcastle United defender Jose Enrique looks increasingly unlikely to stay at the club beyond the end of the summer transfer window after he accused the board of 'lying all the time' and forcing out some of the squad's best players.
Enrique, who has been strongly linked with both Liverpool and Arsenal in the past, is angry at the recent departures of players like Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll - believing they show a clear lack of ambition on the part of owner Mike Ashley and his advisers.
"The club is allowing all the major players of the team to go," Enrique said on Twitter. "Seriously, do you think it is the fault of the players? Andy [Carroll], Nobby [Kevin Nolan] etc etc.
"This club will never again fight to be among the top six again with this policy."
The former Villarreal full-back has long been unsettled, with his contract set to expire next summer. Manager Alan Pardew said in May that the club would make the Spaniard a "fantastic" offer to keep him at the club, but Enrique claims he has only been offered the same terms as those he is currently on.
"They give [offer] the money I have already. They lie all the time," he added. "But is not for money, it is because they don't want to spend on the club and bring quality players - that's why everybody goes."
While his comments are unlikely to find favour with his employers, the 25-year-old tried to prevent any fan backlash by paying tribute to the support he receives at St James' Park.
"I think you fans are the best and you deserve the best, not what they are doing with the club," he said. "Thanks to everyone for supporting me.''
Earlier on Sunday, midfielder Joey Barton also took to the social networking site to reveal that he does not expect to sign a new contract with the Magpies when his current deal expires in the summer of 2012.