Previous
Toulouse
Lens
6:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Werder Bremen
FC Cologne
6:30 PM GMT
Game Details
Aberdeen
Motherwell
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Fulham
Charlton Athletic
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Celta Vigo
Levante
7:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Brisbane Roar
Sydney FC
0
2
FT
Game Details
Next

50-50 Challenge: Real Madrid vs. Barcelona

El Clasico 14 hours ago
Read

Lamela wonder-goal, Kane's keeper clanger

Blog - The Toe Poke 14 hours ago
Read

Cobos: Neymar stronger in 2014-15

Barcelona 18 hours ago
Read

50-50 Challenge: Real Madrid vs. Barcelona

El Clasico 14 hours ago
Read

Cobos: Neymar stronger in 2014-15

Barcelona 18 hours ago
Read
Jul 24, 2011

De Jong contract talks stall

Midfielder Nigel de Jong has revealed that contract talks with Manchester City have broken down.

Mancini targets three recruits
City set to bid for Aguero
Tevez to Corinthians deal collapses

De Jong has two years to run on his current deal at Eastlands and has established himself as one of the key figures at the club since joining from Hamburg two years ago.

The 26-year-old had hoped to sign a contract extension before the new season, with City due to meet cross-city rival United in the Community Shield on August 7.

De Jong may, however, be forced to wait until after the new campaign begins after revealing discussions had ended.

''There's no update on my contract because talks have stopped,'' he told The People. ''Maybe something will happen again when the season starts, but at the moment it is a little frustrating for me.

''I can't go into details other than to say that I couldn't reach an agreement with the club, so we will have to see what happens in the future. I was hoping that it would all be agreed this summer and that hasn't happened.

''It has frustrated me but I am a patient man and we will have to see what happens.''

De Jong's City team-mate Micah Richards has also revealed his frustration at the lack of opportunities he has had under England boss Fabio Capello. The defender has made just one appearance under the Italian, against France in November last year, since he took over the Three Lions three years ago.

''I don't know why I'm not playing for England - but that's something only Fabio Capello can answer,'' he told the Sunday Mirror. ''Why I haven't been given a chance I can't understand. When I came in against France I thought I did well, yet I was left out again for the next international.

''The manager has never explained his way of thinking to me and it has got to the point where I just don't think about the England thing any more.''

Richards, who made his England debut at the age of 18 five years ago, believes he is one of the best full-back in the world, adding: ''When I'm fit I feel I am as good as anyone not just in the Premier League or Europe, but in the world.

''People might say that I am arrogant, but when I am 100% fit and fully focused then I am as good as anyone around.''

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.