Leonardo: No PSG deal yet
Leonardo insists no deal has yet been agreed for him to be the new sporting director of Paris St Germain.
Leonardo was speaking at a press conference at the San Siro stadium, after Inter Milan confirmed last week they had agreed an amicable termination of his contract as coach, appointing Gian Piero Gasperini in his place.
Leonardo has been heavily linked with a return to the French capital, where he played for PSG in the 1996-97 season, ever since the takeover of the club by Qatar Sports Investments, but he was adamant no deal had been done yet.
"I cannot deny that the possibility to join PSG is concrete," Leonardo said in Thursday's press conference in Milan, "but today it remains a possibility. I spoke to the owners of the club two days ago but I don't know how this will end."
Leonardo's decision to leave Inter, with whom he had one year left on his contract, came as a surprise to many. The former AC Milan player and coach replaced sacked Rafael Benitez at the helm in December, just six months after leaving the Rossoneri, and led Inter to a runner-up finish in Serie A and the Coppa Italia title.
"For everything that has gone on in the past month, I felt it was right to give a press conference," he said. "It has been a hectic month - actually, two hectic years.
"I don't believe I have let down Inter because I did not enter negotiations with the Parisian club until three days ago, when my contract with Inter was terminated. I am saddened not to be the coach of Inter because it was a great challenge, but things in life happen.
"With PSG I have a strong relationship but I still have not signed anything. Until Gian Piero Gasperini was officially appointed, I was still the Inter coach.
"When I received an invitation from PSG owners back in June, I spoke immediately with the (Inter) president (Massimo Moratti), who treated me like a father by granting me the opportunity to choose."