FIFA will still use Jack Warner as a witness in their bribery investigation even though he resigned his position as the body's vice-president, and all other football-related roles, on Monday.
Warner was one of the FIFA members under suspicion after Mohamed bin Hammam was alleged to have offered cash for votes in his bid to become the new head of FIFA. But Warner's CONCACAF colleague Chuck Blazer blew the whistle on the payment plan leading to both Bin Hammam and Warner being suspended.
Warner's decision to stand down ended all possible action by FIFA as, under Swiss law, the ethics committee has no jurisdiction over people not in the organisation. Despite the cloud hanging over Warner's head he will still be able to give evidence against others.
Caribbean football associations are alleged to have received cash gifts totalling $1 million.
FIFA said in a statement: "Mr Warner will be heard as a witness. He will be investigated as a witness but not as an accused party. He has offered his support to the ethics committee in their continued investigation.''
Warner issued a parting shot claiming the giving of "gifts'' has always been part of the culture of FIFA during his 30 years in the organisation and that he had been "hung out to dry''.
He told Bloomberg: "It's not unusual for such things to happen and gifts have been around throughout the history of FIFA. What's happening now for me is hypocrisy.''