Barca make contact over Cesc
Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has confirmed Barcelona have registered their interest in signing Cesc Fabregas this summer.
Barca failed in their bid to prise Fabregas away from Arsenal last year with Arsene Wenger adamant that his captain would not leave the club but, with the player having expressed a wish to return to the Camp Nou, many felt that he might depart this summer.
Hill-Wood has now said that Barca have been in contact but stressed that, as yet, they have not tabled an offer.
"Yes, they have spoken to us about Cesc," he told the Sunday Mirror. "They have been in touch, but so far they have not made a bid and we do not want to let him go.
"But he comes from Barcelona so it is understandable if he wanted to go back. However, they have not made an offer so far."
Pep Guardiola is believed to be keen to sign Fabregas, but Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has warned that they will not match last year's €40 million offer. Rosell also said that, although this year's transfer budget stands at €45 million, the club may use cash from next summer's transfer kitty to increase that figure, while there are also certain to be sales, with Bojan Krkic set to leave for Roma in the coming days.
Widespread reports suggest Barca have all but agreed the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Udinese for an initial fee in the region of €28 million, while Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi's agent recently confirmed that Barca have seen a bid - reported to be worth €27 million - rejected.