Van Persie denies Spain, Chelsea attack
Robin van Persie has retracted comments attributed to him regarding Spain and Chelsea after reportedly launching a tirade on the two teams on Thursday.
Van Persie, currently away on national team duty with Holland, claims that he had not done even an interview with the organisation from which the quotes originated.
In a statement made on Arsenal's official website, he said: "I'm on international duty at the moment but following several reports in the media I think it's important to clarify some recent comments attributed to me.
"These reports falsely suggest that I recently made negative comments about Spanish and Chelsea players, I would like to make it perfectly clear that I haven't done an interview with Sport 1 or any other outlet in recent weeks and I've certainly not been rude as the comments suggest.
Van Persie was part of the Dutch team that lost to Spain 1-0 in the World Cup final in South Africa last year, and was reported to have accused the Spanish of getting opponents booked by intimidating the referee.
However, in the statement made by the striker on Friday evening, Van Persie distanced himself from any offensive remarks.
"I respect my colleagues of Spain and Chelsea and look forward to playing against them for many years to come. I sincerely hope that all football fans worldwide don't take these misleading reports seriously," he said.