Barton's representative Willie McKay revealed earlier this week that a new deal for the 28-year-old was no longer on offer, after initial talks broke down in January.
The former Manchester City midfielder's current contract is set to expire at the end of next season, when he will be able to leave St. Jame's Park on a free transfer.
"I spoke to Joey on the last day [of the season] and I think we were both resigned that this contract was going to be a problem," Pardew told the Journal.
"Both of us are thinking next year we will be together and we will go on from there. Unless it changes over the summer and there's a bid in that the board, myself and Joey feel works for Joey, I think he will be here for the start of the season. The thing about contracts is, times change.
"I'm not upset about it. I was more upset when we thought we had agreed and there was a change of heart. I knew it would be a problem to come back from that.
"There was a lot of history between Joey and the board before I arrived. I just wanted to be honest with Joey and match him with clarity. That's what I have done.
"I've been open and up front with him - I made him the captain [in Kevin Nolan's absence]. We decided the best way was probably to wait for the season to end. Joey pulled all the way through and he will pull next year, even if he's in his last year; I know he will.''
It is understood that Barton was close to agreeing terms at the start of this year, but hesitated after seeing Andy Carroll depart for Liverpool.
One player who has committed his future to the Magpies is young defender Shane Ferguson, who signed a new five-year deal on Friday.
"I'm really happy. I've enjoyed this season so much and the new contract has just been the icing on the cake for me," the 19-year-old said.
"It's a great thrill to play for the club and the support I have had from the fans since making my debut really means a lot so I'm just delighted to be with Newcastle for the next five years now.''