Uncertainty over De Gea deal
Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea has reportedly denied that he has agreed to sign for Manchester United - and said that he could yet pen a new contract with his current club.
Manchester United revealed earlier this week that they had moved for De Gea as the replacement for the retiring Edwin van der Sar, with manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirming that they hoped to formally announce the transfer early next week.
But now the 20-year-old is said to have released at statement through his lawyer to Spanish news agency EFE, insisting that he will make no decision on his future until after the European Under-21 Championships. Spain play England in the group stages of the competition, with the final due to take place at the end of June.
The statement from De Gea, released by lawyer Jose Bouzas Aragon, read: "I hereby deny information that appeared in various media today indicating that David de Gea Quintana, football player of Club Atletico de Madrid, has signed for Manchester United. It is not true that he has been signed.
"De Gea will not consider the contract extension offer from Atletico or any other offer until June 30 when he has finished his commitments with the Under-21 national team.''
Atletico have already denied any deal is in place with the Premier League club with Enrique Cerezo, the Atletico president, telling Spanish radio station Cadena Ser: "We don't know anything. Officially neither Manchester [United] or the player at this moment have informed us of anything.
"He [De Gea] knows very well that he can negotiate [with other clubs] but always that they have to pay his buy-out clause."
It was reported that United had agreed to pay £17 million for De Gea, who was part of the Spain squad which won the 2007 European Under-17 Championship but has yet to win his first full cap being behind both Iker Casillas and Pepe Reina.