Kean defends Myles Anderson signing
Blackburn boss Steve Kean has defended the signing of Myles Anderson, who will be given a two-year deal this summer despite having played just two minutes of competitive football.
Anderson, 20, is the son of agent Jerome Anderson - an advisor to Rovers' owners Venky's - and the club's decision to sign a pre-contract agreement with the youngster has raised a few eyebrows from Ewood Park and beyond.
He made his debut at the end of current club Aberdeen's 5-0 win over Kilmarnock on February 19 but has not featured since.
The London-born defender had previously failed to impress on a trial with Blackburn last summer, making a 13-minute substitute appearance in a 3-0 victory at Southport before moving on to train with Motherwell ahead of his short-term deal with the Dons.
But despite his lack of experience, Kean feels Anderson could emerge along the same lines as Manchester United's Chris Smalling, who was playing for non-league Maidstone United less than three years ago.
"We feel that Myles Anderson is a player with great potential as a late developer,'' Kean told the Lancashire Telegraph. "He could become something of a Chris Smalling who came through late in football and Myles has done the same because of his schooling.
"We think he has a lot of potential but there was the opportunity for him to go Scotland in January and we and he felt that would be a good experience for him. There was interest in him from a couple of Spanish clubs but he is our player and will be at our club full time in July.''
Aberdeen manager Craig Brown, who brought in Anderson in January, said he always expected the defender to make the move to Ewood Park at the end of the season.
"He was signed as cover and it was always his intention to go to Blackburn,'' Brown told the Press and Journal.