Villa deny bidding for goalkeeper Lewis
Peterborough claim to have rejected three bids from Premier League clubs for goalkeeper Joe Lewis, though Aston Villa have denied that they are one of them.
• Houllier confident over Makoun The England Under-21 international handed in a transfer request on Tuesday, with Peterborough director of football Barry Fry saying that Villa had made the first offer for the goalkeeper. Fry even went as far as describing Villa's offer for Lewis as an "insult".
"The bid from Villa was an insult," Fry told Sky Sports News. "They offered less than what we paid for him. Are they crazy?
"The boy has been away with England, he's played for the Under-21s and has played 150 games for us. If they come back with a sensible offer we will let him go. If not he will stay here."
But Villa have muddied the waters by denying ever making a bid for Lewis. The club's chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "The simple truth is that we haven't made a bid for the Peterborough goalkeeper.
"I've seen some of the reports today linking us with a bid for this player, but I can confirm that no bid has been made by Aston Villa."
Peterborough paid £400,000 for the keeper when snapping him up from Norwich in January 2008, and with Lewis having since made five appearances for Stuart Pearce's England Under-21 side, Fry stressed that he is expecting to see a return on the club's investment.
He claimed the club had received another two bids from Premier League clubs, which he also said were rejected.
"Since then I've had two more bids from Premier League clubs which we have rejected," he said. "I've no problem with Joe, he has asked for a transfer which I understand but we need to see some sensible money."