Galaxy give Beckham go-ahead
LA Galaxy have agreed to allow David Beckham to leave the club in January, but Tottenham's loan offer for the midfielder must satisfy the club's demands.
Redknapp awaits Becks decision
Beckham, 35, has been the subject of interest from numerous clubs and has told Tottenham Hotspur that he would welcome the chance to move to White Hart Lane in order to demonstrate to Fabio Capello he is still worthy of an England call-up.
Harry Redknapp said on Tuesday there was a "50-50" chance the deal would be done and that Spurs were becoming concerned that negotiations were being dragged out, with the window of opportunity decreasing by the day.
Discussions were prolonged due to the fact that Galaxy's owners had been absent over the New Year, but they have now opened the door to a move to Tottenham, if suitable terms can be agreed with the Premier League club.
Redknapp has said that he is sceptical over the benefit of a short-term loan, but Galaxy are known to want Beckham to return on March 11 in time for the start of the MLS season. Detailed discussions are now underway and Galaxy are demanding that Beckham's wages, insurance and other costs are met by Tottenham.
Spurs' Premier League rivals for Beckham's signature are understood to believe that a deal to take the player to North London could be completed within 24 hours.
Even if an loan agreement cannot be found, it is also understood that Beckham is so committed to spending the winter in London that he could even join a club from the capital for training purposes, as he has done with Arsenal in the past. However, this is very much a secondary option.
If Beckham does move to Tottenham then he could well make his debut against Manchester United in the Premier League on January 16, although Newcastle, Fulham, Blackburn and West Ham have all been linked with the player.