Reina seeking reassurances on ambition
Pepe Reina has rejected rumours he could leave Liverpool in January but suggested he could move on in the summer if the club is not in a position to win trophies.
Reina signed a new six-year deal at Anfield earlier this year, but both Reina and Fernando Torres are said to be seeking assurances that there will be significant investment in the squad.
The Daily Telegraph reports on Tuesday that the new owners have held talks with the duo and they will "need to see tangible evidence of change if they are to remain on Merseyside beyond next summer". The newspaper adds that Reina has a clause in his contract that would permit him to leave for £20 million in the summer.
Reina has dismissed previous reports he could leave during the winter transfer window and said he is happy at Liverpool, yet it appears he is not yet convinced the club is moving in the right direction under Roy Hodgson.
"I signed a six-year contract seven months ago and I'm happy at the club, but every footballer wants to be competing for trophies and winning things," he said in the Daily Mail. "I will stay at Liverpool at least until the end of the season.
"I know there are rumours about me leaving, but I want to make it clear that I have no intention of going back to Spain."
He added: "Rafael Benitez was an essential person for this club and the reason I came to Liverpool."
Arsenal and Manchester United are said to have shown interest in Reina.