Tinkler has 2020 vision for Newcastle Jets
The long-term future of the Newcastle Jets has been secured as new owner Nathan Tinkler commited to the A-League club until 2020 on Friday.
Just two weeks after taking up the license, the young millionaire said he has been convinced by the local community, of which he is a proud member, to stick with the club for the long haul.
"When I took up the interim licence two weeks ago I said that we wanted to gauge the support for the Club from the local community and local business sector," Tinkler said.
"I am pleased to say that the response so far from all facets of the Hunter community has been overwhelming and that has given me the confidence to commit to the Newcastle Jets for the long term. Our aim is to build the Newcastle Jets into a great asset for the Hunter community, Jets members and as a nursery for football talent in the region. This announcement is another step along that road."
Former owner Con Constantine had been able to pay players and staff earlier this season before Tinkler rode to the rescue, but he initially commited only until season's end. FFA CEO Ben Buckley said Tinkler's commitment is a great endorsement for the A-league and the depth of support for football in the Newcastle area.
"This is a fantastic result for the Hyundai A-League, the club and the people of the Newcastle area and shows that football has a huge future in the region," Buckley said. "I urge all of the Hunter community to continue to get behind the Jets and help Nathan and his team build something special."
Newcastle Jets Executive Chairman Ken Edwards said the club was now in a position to make positive long term strategic moves around club operations and the player roster.
"This commitment will enable us to get on with the serious business of building the strength of the Club on a whole range of levels," Edwards said. "We are now working on securing the coaching staff, the playing roster and seeking further community and business support for the long term."