Newcastle Jets on the brink after crunch FFA talks
The future of Newcastle Jets remains uncertain after a crunch meeing between officials from the club and Football Federation Australia (FFA) on Monday.
The A-League outfit revealed earlier this month that it did not have enough money to pay players and staff and the FFA were forced to bail the club out by covering the costs of hosting their 0-0 home draw with Brisbane Roar.
And FFA chief executive Ben Buckley revealed after the meeting on Monday that despite doubt remaining about the Jets' ability to stay afloat, the club's fixtures against Gold Coast United and Melbourne Victory this week will go ahead as planned.
"As talks are continuing I would like to assure fans and players that Newcastle Jets games on Wednesday night and Saturday night will go ahead as planned," Buckley said.
"We were presented with a plan on how the club hoped to move forward and we committed to consider that proposal over the next 24 or 48 hours.
"These are complicated and difficult issues to work through and I urge all stakeholders to be patient as we strive for the best outcome for all."
The club's supporters finally had something to smile about on Friday as they beat Perth Glory 2-0 to record their first win in six attempts this season, with Jets coach Branko Culina admitting that he hopes his side have turned a corner.
"I'm not part of the meeting and it's probably best that way," Culina told AAP. "It has involved the players over the last month and as I said, I can't speak highly enough of the players and the support staff.
"It's affected all of us and it does have a huge effect on everyone's livelihood. Until you win games people don't recognise the effort so it's good to see those efforts being recognised. "It's a credit to the players and the club because it's certainly not easy at the moment trying to play let alone compete at a successful level. Winning football matches helps everyone."