Evra fails to overturn ban
The French Football Federation has upheld its decision to ban Patrice Evra from the national side for five matches.
Evra, who captained France at this summer's World Cup, was given the suspension as a result of his role in the revolt against coach Raymond Domenech. France players went on strike after Nicolas Anelka had been sent home for an outburst against Domenech.
Evra decided to appeal the decision and his lawyer, Jean-Yves Foucard, said on Thursday that the player had gone to the FFF because he wanted to explain his role in the strike.
"The commission heard Patrice Evra, who came to them personally," he said. "Today is not about judging his participation in what happened on the bus in Knysna but his neglect of his role as captain.
"Patrice wanted to explain himself, which he has done at great length, and the commission has listened carefully, asking good questions, which he has answered.
"Patrice explained that he played a transparent role, with honesty, each time he tried to relay the concerns between the players and the staff - in particular the coach - and that one can understand, realise, that these relations were not straightforward."
However, in a statement on its website, the FFF has confirmed the appeal was unsuccessful.
"The Appeals High Commission, which met today (Thursday) to consider the appeal by the player Patrice Evra, has decided to confirm the five-match sanction for non-selection by Team France," it read.