Sydney FC

Euro 2016 full squad lists

Euro 2016

Trending: United set to appoint Mourinho

Latest

Frankfurt interested in signing Klose

Andrei Arshavin: I've lost my sparkle

Arsenal star Andrei Arshavin says he has been frustrated over the past 18 months by his inability to score the kind of sublime goals that saw him become Russian football's biggest star.

Arshavin exploded into English football with a four-goal haul against Liverpool just two months after his arrival at Arsenal from Zenit St Petersburg in February 2008, while his total tally now stands at 18 goals in 45 league games following strikes in consecutive games against Blackpool and Blackburn.

However, some notable efforts against Liverpool, again, and Manchester United aside, Arshavin has struggled to regularly produce the truly spectacular goals that he made his trademark at Zenit.

The midfielder admits it is a problem that has occupied his thoughts and that he hopes to rediscover the more electrifying elements of his game.

"The year and a half in England has significantly changed me," Arshavin told Sport Express. "I became calmer, more professional and spend more time with my family.

"As for football I can say that my style has also altered - it is more effective, but less sparkling. I don't remember when was the last time I scored a really beautiful goal. It is frustrating. I tried to analyse this, but can find no answers.

"It is likely that my injuries last year had an effect, because on three occasions I was out for a month, but it is feeble to talk about injuries."

Comments