Atlanta United FC
10:05 PM UTC Jul 22, 2017
Tottenham Hotspur
12:05 AM UTC Jul 23, 2017
Costa Rica
United States
2:00 AM UTC Jul 23, 2017

Hunter: Neymar has a tough choice

La Liga

Appiah has no plans to return for Ghana

Former Ghana captain Stephen Appiah has reiterated that his focus is solely on his club after quitting international football.

Appiah, 29, has joined Serie A side Cesena and, after injuries derailed his career, he has said he does not want to play for Ghana.

"You know the kind of guy I am," he told BBC Sport. "I always say I live in a real world. With all the problems I had in the past, now I want to concentrate on my club and see what will happen."

Appiah was at Bologna last season, where he struggled for first-team football, and had earlier had contractual problems with Fenerbahce.

"I didn't play a lot of games for Bologna last season but I'm hoping to get more playing time this season," he said. "In training I've showed the coach that I'm ready to play and I feel good.

"I've had a difficult time in the last two years and I'm determined to put that behind me and enjoy my football again."

Appiah announced his international retirement last week. In a statement on his website, he said: "After 68 games and 17 goals for the national team - Ghana Black Stars, I have decided to retire from International Football with immediate effect. "I will no longer be available for selection for the national team and will like to concentrate on my club career."

Comments