West Ham United
At. San Luis
3:06 AM UTC Jan 17, 2018
Botafogo
Portuguesa RJ

Transfer Rater: Walcott to Bournemouth

Mark Schwarzer desperate to sign for Arsenal

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has pleaded with the club to allow him to join Arsenal.

• Play Premier League fantasy

Arsenal have been linked with Schwarzer for the past month, but Arsene Wenger's interest was said to have cooled after he was quoted a price of £4 million by Fulham.

Schwarzer, 37, is to have showdown talks with new Fulham manager Mark Hughes as soon as he returns from international duty, having featured in Australia's 2-0 defeat to Slovenia. Schwarzer rescheduled his flight back from Slovenia to meet with Hughes.

But it now seems certain the former Middlesbrough goalkeeper will head to Emirates Stadium as their new number one after making it clear he does not want to stay at Fulham.

"I need it to happen," Schwarzer told the Australian Daily Telegraph. "I've had a couple of chats with Mark [Hughes]. It's delicately poised. Who wouldn't be keen to go to Arsenal?

"At this stage in my career it's an amazing opportunity to play at that level and one I really want to take. Only time will tell whether that happens or not."

Schwarzer denied he would pull himself out of Saturday's game against Bolton Wanderers to engineer a move as the club's haggle over a transfer fee, but he could miss the game through injury.

"I have never sat out a game [to prove a point] and never would," Schwarzer said. "But it needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. I'm not sure whether I'll play [for Fulham] on the weekend. I've got a few little injury problems but we'll have to wait and see how I pull up when I return to London."

Comments