Real Madrid confirm Raul exit
Real Madrid have officially confirmed that Bernabeu legend Raul is to leave the club and will hold a farewell press conference on Monday.
It had long been thought the veteran striker, who has spent his entire career with the Spanish giants, was set to leave this summer, with Schalke heading the race for his signature. It was announced earlier this week that Raul would hold the press conference, but the club have now confirmed it will be a farewell act.
A statement on the official website announced it would be a farewell celebration for their captain, who they are keen to see off in style following 16 seasons in the first team.
Raul, who has been at Madrid since joining their youth team in 1992 and is the club's all-time top goalscorer, signed a life contract in 2008 which sees his deal automatically renewed should he play at least 30 games a season.
The 33-year-old achieved that in 2009-10 but, with his influence on the pitch waning following an influx of big-name players last summer and more seemingly set to follow in the coming months, he has decided to quit the Bernabeu.
Earlier, Schalke all but confirmed they are set to sign Raul after coach Felix Magath said he will be a sensation at the German club.
''He will be a sensation in the Bundesliga,'' Magath told German newspaper Bild. ''He will be an important player for us and will give a lot to the team.''