Previous
Manchester City
AS Monaco
7:45 PM UTC
Leg 1
Game Details
Bayer Leverkusen
Atletico Madrid
7:45 PM UTC
Leg 1
Game Details
Caen
AS Nancy Lorraine
5:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Huddersfield Town
Reading
7:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Queens Park Rangers
Wigan Athletic
7:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Sheffield Wednesday
Brentford
7:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Derby County
Burton Albion
7:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Saprissa
Pachuca
2:00 AM UTC Feb 22, 2017
Leg 1
Game Details
Next

Europa League round of 16 draw

Europa League
Read

Trending: Sutton goalkeeper faces pie probe

Latest
Read

Bakayoko would not reject PSG switch

Transfers
Read

Tampines down Felda 2-1 in AFC Cup

AFC Cup
Read

Togo ANC ban lifted after Blatter intervention

Togo will be allowed to compete in the 2012 and 2014 African Nations Cup tournaments after FIFA president Sepp Blatter helped convince the CAF to remove the ban imposed because the nation pulled out of the Angola 2010 edition.

Togo's government withdrew the national team from January's continental tournament after two team officials and a driver were killed in a terrorist attack on the team bus as it travelled to a fixture, prompting CAF to hand out a two-tournament ban and a $50,000 fine for allowing political issues to interfere with football.

CAF president Issa Hayatou has agreed to ask his executive committee to vote next week to readmit Togo to the next two editions of the ANC, to be held in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea in 2012 and Libya in 2014 after Togo's appeal was heard in the court of arbitration for sport, who invited Blatter to mediate.

As part of the outcome, Togo officials agreed they did not follow correct procedure in pulling out of the competition, but ultimately logic has prevailed in light of the tragic motive for Togo's decision to withdraw.

Blatter said in a CAS statement: "I am very pleased that we have been able to find a solution which is satisfactory for both parties. The success today is for the entire football community, in particular for African football."

Elitsa Lanou, Togo's technical director, said in a statement: "This decision is good news for us. It gives us a real bounce. If the sanction had been upheld, we would have been knocked flat. Now we have to organise and move on."

The qualifying draw for the 2012 tournament was made in February without Togo, but it will now be redone ahead of the first matches set to take place in September.

Togo's best known player and captain Emmanuel Adebayor retired from international football in the wake of the ban, although it's uncertain whether the reversal of that decision could lure him back into the fold.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.