West Bromwich Albion
7:00 PM UTC
Game Details
Real Betis
7:00 PM UTC
Game Details

FIFA to relax commemoration rules

Blog - FIFA

Sissoko shows signs of life at Spurs


FA Cup: Stoke hold City, holders ease through

Manchester City were held to a 1-1 draw by Stoke in the FA Cup, as the Potters kept their dreams alive by forcing a replay at Eastlands.

• Kevin Palmer at Stamford Bridge
• FA Cup Gallery

City went ahead on 11 minutes with a goal from Shaun Wright-Phillips after a mistake from Ryan Shawcross. Not only did Shawcross fail to make any contact when he attempted to clear a bouncing ball Wright-Phillips had lofted over Thomas Sorensen, but he then provided the City man with the easiest of tap-ins when he headed it after falling to the turf.

The introduction of Rory Delap changed things for Stoke in the second half and his long throw was headed into the net by Ricardo Fuller to give them the equaliser. Sorensen then saved well from a Gareth Barry header and ensured that the two teams will meet again in ten days' time.

Holders Chelsea reached the FA Cup quarter-finals with a 4-1 win over Cardiff after the Welsh side had briefly threatened to cause a massive shock.

Didier Drogba put Chelsea in front in the second minute but Michael Chopra stunned the home side with an equaliser before the interval.

Chelsea were back in front in the 51st minute when Drogba's pass evaded Mark Kennedy to put Michael Ballack through on goal. The Germany captain kept his cool to volley the ball over David Marshall and make it 2-1.

Chelsea then wrapped up the game as goals from Daniel Sturridge and substitute Salomon Kalou put Carlo Ancelotti's side into the last eight.

Portsmouth were in danger of being put out of business this week but they are alive in the FA Cup after defeating rivals Southampton 4-1 at St Mary's.

Despite being matched by Alan Pardew's men for much of the fifth-round clash, Quincy Owusu-Abeyie came off the bench and opened the scoring for the visitors.

Rickie Lambert levelled shortly after but Aruna Dindane, Nadir Belhadj and Jamie O'Hara netted to give the scoreline a flattering look for the bottom club in the Premier League.

Jimmy Kebe scored the fastest goal in the FA Cup proper when he put Reading ahead against West Brom after just nine seconds. Kebe slotted a left-footed shot into the net to stun the Baggies straight from the kick-off and although Gareth Morris scored after four seconds for Ashton United in 2001, that came in the qualifying rounds, meaning the Royals midfielder made his own piece of history.

However, West Brom drew level in the 18th minute through a well-worked goal, Robert Koren converting Chris Brunt's cross from the right.

Reading went ahead again after the break as Simon Church slotted home in the 73rd minute, but Joe Mattock forced a replay with just three minutes left as he drilled a low shot past Adam Federici to ensure the game ended 2-2.

Nigel Clough's dream of winning the one domestic trophy which eluded his father, Brian, was shattered as Birmingham defender Liam Ridgewell snatched an injury-time winner to beat Derby 2-1 at Pride Park.

Jay McEveley's 54th-minute strike put the Rams on course for a quarter-final spot for the first time in 11 years although Blues keeper Joe Hart will shoulder some of the blame. But Scott Dann headed home a James McFadden corner to level matters and then Ridgewell popped up with the decider after a rebound from Kevin Phillips' shot.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.