Sydney FC
11:30 PM UTC May 25, 2016

Euro 2016 full squad lists

Euro 2016

Horncastle: Italy omissions not surprising

Italy

Toon sign QPR winger Routledge, Williamson next

Newcastle have completed the signing of Wayne Routledge on a three-and-a-half deal from Coca-Cola Championship rivals QPR.

The 25-year-old winger joins Chris Hughton's side for an undisclosed fee from the Loftus Road club.

Routledge, who has scored seven times in 49 appearances for the Londoners before his move to the north-east, was part of the Hoops side which drew 1-1 at St James' Park earlier this season.

The winger goes straight into the Magpies squad for Wednesday's game against Crystal Palace - the club where Routledge began his career at the age of 16.

He made 121 appearances for Palace and has since has stints with Tottenham, Portsmouth, Fulham, Aston Villa and Cardiff.

Routledge told the club's official website: "It's unbelievable really that Palace could be my first game. I've still got very fond memories of my time there. They were my boyhood team and I learnt everything I know at the club. So obviously it's a game I'm desperate to be involved in and just can't wait for it."

Portsmouth's Mike Williamson is expected to be next through the door at St James' Park. The club were rushing through the paperwork on Tuesday to ensure the 26-year-old is available to face Palace and help the Toon plug their defensive injury crisis with Steven Taylor and Danny Simpson injured and Ryan Taylor suspended.

Comments