Sydney FC
Philadelphia Union
11:30 PM UTC May 25, 2016

Euro 2016 full squad lists

Euro 2016

Trending: United set to appoint Mourinho

Latest

Barcelona to allow Sandro to leave

Gotze not signing for Liverpool - father

Braga end 50-year wait for cup glory

Portugal

Javier Mascherano coy over Liverpool contract extension

Javier Mascherano has proved reluctant to formally confirm his long-term commitment to Liverpool when pressed on whether he intends to sign a new deal at Anfield.

Rafael Benitez recently revealed that the club had conducted "very positive" talks with Mascherano regarding a contract extension for the player whose current deal lasts until the end of the 2010-11 season.

Mascherano has been linked with a possible move to Barcelona at various times over the past 12 months after impressing at Anfield following his arrival at the club in January 2007.

But with Liverpool struggling in the league and exiting the Champions League at the group stage, the Argentina captain has declined to confirm that he will be extending his contract with the Merseyside club.

"I just talk about football - not about contracts or money. I want to play," Mascherano said following Liverpool's Champions League defeat at the hands of Fiorentina on Wednesday night.

"I am playing for Liverpool, I am a Liverpool player and, like the manager says, I have two more years on my contract so I think I don't have to say anything else. I play for Liverpool and will continue playing and trying to give my best.''

Comments