Security will be heightened at Anfield on Sunday as fans plan a march to protest against George Gillett and Tom Hicks' ownership of the club.
The American pair, who have come under pressure from fans' groups angry at the debt and direction of Liverpool, are expected to attend the Premier League clash with Manchester United.
The club are not prepared to discuss their plans to protect Hicks and Gillett, but last season a similar march ahead of the same fixture saw extra police and security staff around the stadium.
The Spirit of Shankly fans group hope for a 10,000-strong march to the stadium.
Gillett attended Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Lyon, where a large banner on the Kop claimed that fans had been lied to by the owners. Gillett also watched Alberto Aquilani make his club debut in the reserves at Tranmere the following night.
It is believed there are plans for thousands of placards to be waved at the Americans if they sit in their usual front-row seats of the directors' box.
Les Lawson, spokesman for the Liverpool Supporters Club, who is a member of the Spirit of Shankly grouping, said: "There have been protests before, but the Americans do have elephant-thick skin.
"But there is no point in sitting back and doing nothing. This will be a direct action to keep the campaign in the public eye.
"There are plenty of other things going on behind the scenes to keep the campaign going, though. The fans have to do something to show their anger at the way Liverpool is being run."
Spirit of Shankly spokesman Paul Gardner said: "There are two culprits (for the way the club is being run) - Gillett and Hicks.
"They are the ones who put us into £245million of debt, promised us a new stadium that has not been built, took money out of the club to pay for their own expenses. We want the owners out now."