Previous
Stoke City
Chelsea
0
2
FT
Game Details
Juventus
Napoli
(5) 2
(6) 2
FT-Pens
Game Details
Braga
Paços de Ferreira
3
0
FT
Game Details
Panathinaikos
Kerkyra
2
0
FT
Game Details
Caykur Rizespor
Gaziantepspor
0
1
FT
Game Details
Next

Adebayor escapes ban over Arsenal celebration

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has been handed a suspended two-match ban and £25,000 fine by the Football Association for his controversial goal celebration against Arsenal last month.

The Togo striker ran the full length of the pitch at Eastlands to toast his goal in front of the Gunners' travelling support, provoking ugly scenes in the stands.

He apologised after the match and claimed his celebration was a reaction to the constant abuse meted out to him by the away fans throughout the game.

He has already missed three games after he was charged with violent conduct by the FA for a clash with Robin van Persie.

The Dutch forward appeared to have his face raked by Adebayor's studs. Cesc Fabregas also complained of rough treatment at Adebayor's hands during City's 4-2 win.

But now he has received a suspended sentence, Adebayor will be available for City's game with Aston Villa, which is live on ESPN UK on Monday night. As part of the verdict, he could be banned if he contravenes FA rules before December 2010.

City manager Mark Hughes said he was delighted with the verdict. "There has been a lot said and written about Emmanuel's goal celebration. We are just glad to put it all behind us now and I am relieved he will be able to play at Aston Villa on Monday night. Manu was in great form before his suspension and having him available again is a huge boost to us."

An FA statement read: "Emmanuel Adebayor has been fined £25,000 and given a suspended two match ban. At a Regulatory Commission hearing, Manchester City forward Emmanuel Adebayor was fined £25,000 and given a suspended two match ban.

"Adebayor admitted a charge of improper conduct relating to his goal celebration during City's match against Arsenal at the City of Manchester Stadium on 12 September. In reaching its decision the Commission took into account his admission of the charge, public apology and the extremely provocative nature of the abuse he received.

"However, the Commission also stated that players have a responsibility to conduct themselves in a proper manner and that such celebrations are unacceptable and have the potential to cause a serious public order incident. The two match ban was suspended until December 2010 and will be activated in the event of a similar breach of FA rules."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.