Bochum have apologised after news of coach Marcel Koller's sacking was announced on their website on Sunday before it had been confirmed at a board meeting.
The Swiss coach was dismissed but, four hours before the meeting took place, a press release was posted on the club's website announcing his departure.
"This is embarrassing,'' a club spokesman told Bild. "This press release had only been prepared in case it was needed. It appeared on our site due to a misunderstanding.''
Koller did not see the announcement, which appeared just ten minutes after he had finished leading his final training session at the club.
However, he remained disappointed to be told by club chief Werner Altegoer that his four-and-a-half year spell at the club was over.
"It is now official, I have been dismissed,'' he told the Basler Zeitung newspaper. After a discussion with chairman Werner Altegoer, we both decided together to terminate the contract. I could feel that this dismissal was not easy for him. It is also painful for me.''
Koller led Bochum into the Bundesliga at the second attempt in 2006 and has established them in the top flight over the last three seasons.
A 3-2 defeat at home to Mainz at the weekend saw the Ruhrside club drop into the bottom three and heavy fan protests during and after that game effectively brought his reign to an end.