Lescott completes Man City move
Joleon Lescott has finally completed his move from Everton to Manchester City. The 27-year-old defender signed a five-year deal with the Eastlands outfit on Tuesday night.
Lescott completed his medical and agreed personal terms on Monday after City had a bid, reportedly worth £22m, accepted by Everton on Sunday but there was a brief delay to the England star's transfer going through as a minor wrangle was resolved.
Confirmation of the transfer takes Mark Hughes' summer spending beyond £120million.
Lescott will be officially unveiled at 11am on Wednesday and could make his debut in Sunday's Premier League encounter with Portsmouth at Fratton Park.
City boss Mark Hughes said: "I am absolutely delighted to welcome Joleon to Manchester City. He is an England international who has proved his Premier League ability during his time at Everton.
"In bringing Joleon to the club I feel we have recruited a defender of the very highest quality. He can play in a number of defensive positions, and I'm positive he will make a significant impact for us."
Lescott is the eighth new signing Mark Hughes has made this summer and is regarded as the long-term central defensive partner for Kolo Toure.
Lescott said: "I'm over the moon to get the move completed, and I'm looking forward to training with the lads as I've not trained for a few days.
"I know some of the lads already - I'm close friends with Shaun (Wright-Phillips), we've played against each other since we were 16 or 17. The way this club is moving on, I'm really looking forward to being a part of that."
News of the former Wolves man's arrival at Eastlands has brought an immediate claim that City have accepted a £6million bid from Aston Villa for Richard Dunne.
The Blues have yet to confirm that development. However, it would be no surprise if Dunne was to leave given he is unlikely to be satisfied with life as a substitute, particularly as Hughes offered Nedum Onuoha a long-term contract last month.