Lucio off to Inter
Bayern Munich have confirmed the sale of defender Lucio to Italian champions Inter Milan. The Brazilian will put pen to paper on a three-year deal in Milan, according to Bayern's general manager Uli Hoeness.
"Lucio is transferring immediately to Inter Milan and will receive a three-year contract there," he said at a press conference today.
"The clubs have reached an agreement and the player is also in agreement with Inter."
Lucio is now due to undergo a medical in Lombardy before all the transfer formalities can be completed.
The 31-year-old's future at Bayern had been in doubt since new coach Louis van Gaal arrived and hinted it may be difficult for him to earn a regular place in his team.
The Dutch coach warned nobody could be given a guaranteed starting berth and Lucio's late return to pre-season training, due to his involvement for Brazil at the Confederations Cup, could put him at a disadvantage compared to his team-mates.
And Hoeness confirmed Lucio had made it clear he wanted to leave after leading Brazil to glory in South Africa.
"After the Confederations Cup it was his expressed wish to leave Bayern if there was an offer from a major club.
"We are of course sad that he is leaving because Lucio did outstanding work here," Hoeness added, saying Bayern still had several options for central defence.
Lucio joined Bayern from Bundesliga rivals Bayer Leverkusen in 2004 and played 144 times for the record German champions, scoring seven goals.
The 31-year-old, who was to rejoin Bayern on Thursday after his Confederations Cup participation with Brazil, signed for the Germans in 2004 after a stint with Bayer Leverkusen.
Part of Brazil's 2002 World Cup winning side, he quickly established himself as a rock in Bayern's defence, helping them clinch the Bundesliga and Cup double in 2005, 2006 and 2008.
Last season Bayern's backline was less consistent, however, and the Bavarians failed to win any silverware.
However in a strange twist, Inter president Massimo Moratti claimed that the deal was not yet done.
"Lucio's signing? It is not yet official," Moratti told the club's website.
"From what I know it's not all definite."
Moratti admitted the arrival of Lucio would bring to an end the Nerazzurri's quest to acquire Chelsea stars Deco and Ricardo Carvalho. Inter, on a pre-season tour in California, opted for Lucio after talks to sign Carvalho broke down.
Coach Jose Mourinho has already bought Argentina striker Diego Milito and Brazilian midfielder Thiago Motta from Genoa with Twente Enschede forward Marko Arnautovic poised to sign.
Inter left back Maxwell is joining Barcelona and Lucio's arrival could lead to further departures from the San Siro after Mourinho said his squad was too large.
Argentina defender Nicolas Burdisso is among several Inter players to be linked with a move in the media.