Ronaldo next on Real Madrid's shopping list
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez celebrated the completion of the £59m capture of Kaka by warning Manchester United that Cristiano Ronaldo is next on his hit list.
Perez, who oversaw the galacticos era at Madrid between 2000 and 2006, said last week that he would not jeopardise his relationship with United to sign Ronaldo but buoyed by the success of the Kaka deal he was in bullish mood.
"We're always thinking about great players, Cristiano Ronaldo and (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic are among other great players around the world," Perez said. "We all know that these are players that we would like but they all can't come.
"Ronaldo is a great player who we'd like to bring to the club, but first we have to speak to Manchester United because the important thing is for us to maintain a good rapport with everyone."
Real angered United last summer following a public pursuit of Ronaldo, which prompted Red Devils manager Sir Alex Ferguson to blast: " I wouldn't sell a virus to that mob."
Various Madrid officials have claimed that there is a pre-contract agreement in place to sign the FIFA World Player of the Year for €90m but nobody will admit to actually seeing the document.
The deal was allegedly agreed by ousted Real chief Ramon Calderon and facilitated by Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes. United have repeatedly denied the existence of any agreement.
Meanwhile, Tuesday's edition of Spanish daily Marca claimed that Perez has an agreement in place with financially troubled Valencia to sign star striker David Villa.
Real sporting director Jorge Valdano confirmed that the club were looking to sign more players but did not identify any targets by name.
"We have needs and we will try to satisfy them with more signings which must make us better," Valdano said.
"We will be working on purchases and sales at the same time and see then what squad we are left with, certainly a better one than last season which is the main aim."