Knee surgery rules Wright-Phillips out for England
Shaun Wright-Phillips will miss England's World Cup qualifying double header with Kazakhstan and Andorra next month with a knee injury.
The Manchester City winger would almost certainly have been in the squad Fabio Capello is due to announce on Sunday.
However, City boss Mark Hughes has confirmed that Wright-Phillips' plans to play against Bolton at Eastlands on Sunday have been scrapped.
Instead the former Chelsea star will go for a "wash out'' of his knee, with the expectation he will be back for the start of next pre-season.
"Shaun trained earlier this week but he got a reaction,'' said the City boss. "Now he will have to see a specialist.
"He is not going to be available at the weekend and he may well have a wash out of his knee in the close-season that would enable him to be fit for the start of pre-season training.
"He has worked really hard trying to get fit but this problem needs to be addressed and we must look at it.''
While it is bad news for Wright-Phillips, City could still have some representation in the England squad, with Nedum Onuoha tipped to be handed his first senior call.
Onuoha has been an Under-21 regular but could gain his reward for an outstanding campaign, during which he has often outshone central defensive partner and Blues skipper Richard Dunne.
"Nedum has had a great season,'' said Hughes. "It has virtually been his first season free of injury but he has always been a young player with huge potential.
"If he was to get selected it would be a great reward for an excellent year. We all hope he does.''